Some people believe and teach we are all God’s children, but that is not true. We are all God's creation. However, all who are accountable to God for their actions have sinned and are thus separated from God―they are lost in their sins and in need of God's salvation (Romans 3:23; 6:23). All who are in need of salvation are children of the devil. In this world, all people who are accountable to God for their actions are either children of the devil or they are children of God. Jesus said to some Jews of His day that they were children of their father the devil, and they loved to do the evil things that the devil does. Jesus told them that the devil was a murderer from the beginning and always hated the truth. Jesus said that was the case because there is no truth in him. Furthermore, Jesus said that when the devil lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44). Jesus said that His sheep hear His voice, and He knows them, and they follow Him (John 10:27). And, Paul tells us that the children of the devil become the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus (Galatians3:26) We learn from the next verse when one is by faith made a child of God―“For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (ASV, 1901). Jesus said, “For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother” (Mark 3:35). He also asked, “Why do you call me Lord, Lord, and not do what I say?” (Luke 6:46).
Ephesians 1:3 tells us that Christians are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ. Paul also wrote of Christians, “Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God” (Ephesians 2:19). A child of the devil must take each step in God’s great plan of salvation. This is the conversion process of one ceasing to be a child of the devil and becoming a child of God in God’s great family, the church of His Son. This is the process of being born again (John 3:1-21).
The steps in God’s singular plan of salvation leading to eternal life in Heaven are:
Hear and understand the gospel, for that is how faith is formed in one and then strengthened and sustained.
- Romans 10:17―“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God”.
- John 20:30-31―“And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”
- Romans 1:16―“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
- I Corinthians 15:1-4―“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”
Believe in the deity of Jesus Christ.
- John 8:24―“I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.”
- John 3:18―“He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
- Hebrews 11:1, 6―“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen … But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a re-warder of them that diligently seek him.”
Repent of one’s sins.
- Luke 13:5―“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
- Acts 17:30―“And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent.”
Confess one’s faith in Christ.
- Romans 10:9-10―“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
- Acts 8:36-38―“And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.”
Be baptized (immersed) by the authority of Christ in water for the remission of sins.
- Mark 16:16―“He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
- Acts 2:38―“Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
- Acts 22:16―“And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.”
- Romans 6:3-4―“Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
- Galatians 3:26-27―“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
- I Peter 3:21―“The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”
Having been added to the church by the Lord Himself (Acts. 2:42, 47), one must continue to be faithful to Christ in the church of our Lord, for salvation can be lost.
- I Corinthians 15:58―“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.”
- Hebrews 10:36-39―“For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry. Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him. But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.”
- Revelation 2:10―“Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.”
- II Peter 2:20-22―“For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them. But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.”
- Galatians 5:4―“Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.”
More than the foregoing God does not require of the child of the devil to become a child of God. Less than obedience thereto and one will remain a child of the devil, losing one’s soul when life on earth is finished. Don’t turn a deaf ear to God’s great plan to make a child of God out of a child of the devil, so one can live with him in glory when this life is over. Jesus saves only those who obey Him (Hebrews 5:9).
David P. Brown