The Bible vividly portrays the nature of the church in the various descriptive terms which are applied:
- As a pearl, the church is costly. It is to be bought even at the expense of selling all that one has.
- As a kingdom, it is obedient. We are to obey every wich of our King, the Lord.
- As a house, it is orderly. Every stone is fitly joined together and everything is decent and in order.
- As a rock, it is dependent. It must be fed the pure milk and meat of the Word. It must look to the great Shepherd.
- As a bride, it is vitally joined to Him. It wears His name and is subject to Him in all things.
- As a family, it bears His image. It resembles the Father and Elder Brother.
- As a body, it is united. All members are needed and work together in harmony.
- As a candlestick, it is exalted. It is the light of the world, reflecting Christ so that all can see Him.