Do believers in God, in Jesus Christ as His Son, and in the Bible as God’s Word have an obligation to evaluate candidates and/or political parties in light of Biblical teaching when they vote? Can a Christian be faithful to Christ if he votes for a candidate who champions anti-Christian causes and principles? Specifically, can a Christian vote for a candidate who:
- Favors Islam over the religion of Christ (hosted Ramadan dinners, but refused to host National Day of Prayer). The Bible affirms that Christianity is the one true religion (John 8:24; 14:6; et al.).
- Fears offending Muslims, but does not mind offending believers in Christ (before he delivered a speech, demanded a symbol of Jesus’ name be covered). If one is ashamed of Jesus, Jesus will be ashamed of him at the Judgment (Matthew 10:32-33).
- Ridicules believers in Christ (“they cling to their guns or religion”). Jesus said, “Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake” (Matthew 5:11).
- Heads a party that is opposed to God and the Bible (the original party platform removed God’s name completely; when they added God because of political expediency, it was roundly booed). As with all infidels, “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools” (Romans 1:22).
- Favors abortion vigorously (ruled to override conscience protections relating to abortion for medical workers, favors killing babies born alive after botched abortions, favors funding abortion clinics with tax dollars, included a pro-abortion plank in his party’s platform, etc.). Life begins at conception, and intentional killing—in or out of the womb—is murder, which will send one to Hell (Matthew 2:16; John 8:44; Romans 1:29, 32; Revelation 21:8; et al.).
- Advanced the homosexual agenda in manifold ways (announced he would not enforce the Defense of Marriage Act, announced that he favors same-sex marriages, ordered that homosexuals would be allowed to openly serve in our military forces, ordered chaplains to perform same-sex marriages in military chapels, etc.). Homosexual behavior is a “vile passion,” that is “against nature,” and is “not fitting.” Those who persist in it will be lost eternally (Romans 1:26-28; I Corinthians 6:9-10; I Timothy 1:9-10; et al.).
When human loyalties clash with loyalty to God, believers must be faithful to God and Jesus (Acts 5:29). True believers will vote so as to maintain a “good conscience” (Acts 23:1).